Monday, October 29, 2007

Comedy is Tragedy that Happens to Other People. Or to Me.

It's Monday morning, and if yours has started like mine has (forgot my T pass, so I get to pay $4 to take the subway instead!), then you could use a little bit of a laugh. I'm going to invite you to laugh at my expense.

So, yesterday, I realized that I could no longer put off doing laundry any more. I decided to do just the lights/darks, and to do towels/sheets in another trip, because that's a lot to carry to the laundromat. Which is the most expensive laundromat ever, wtf? Anyway. I'm all done with my laundering, and start walking back to my apartment. It's like a five minute walk, not bad. Carrying my laundry in the little pop-up hamper, my brain full of thoughts of tidying my room and actually putting things away where they belong. (No, I'm serious. Stop laughing!)

And then my phone rings. So I dig it out of my pocket and answer it, and it's my friend calling to go to the Garment District and go a-costuming. I still needed a few final touches for my costume (flapper), so I am all for it, and we are just setting up our plans when a family is coming down the sidewalk. I always get out of the way of larger groups by going to the edge of the curb. This is not really the best of ideas when you are a.) on the phone, b.) carrying your laundry, and c.) have a backpack full of detergent on your back.

My right ankle betrayed me. It was always the good ankle--I've sprained my left ankle twice, and my left knee once. Perhaps it was jealous. I don't know. It gave out. I went down. The hamper went flying (though luckily not my expensively cleaned clothes!). The phone went flying...

...and landed an inch from the edge of the sewer grate.

Ladies and gentlemen, I may be the luckiest ankle-sprainer in the world. I haven't gone to the doctor's yet (trying to make an appointment), so I don't have confirmation, but the bruising, swelling, and general pain are usually pretty good indicators.

ETA: Thanks to everyone who helped me yesterday. And didn't laugh (too much) at my gimpiness.

5 comments:

essjay said...

I am glad that your laundry escaped, unharmed and that your phone didn't end up in the sewer. I pout for your ankle - take care of it, it will betray you again if you don't! ;)

Unknown said...

Thanks for making me laugh, Stine! I think I can picture what it looked like and I'm gad I wasn't around as I imagine you'd find me somewhat rude not being able to stop giggling...

Now, listen to essjay and take real good care of your ankle. :kram:

Geek Knitter said...

:snort: Thanks, I needed a good laugh this morning. I feel bad for you that you're hurt though!

So, did you put your clothes away or did you go a-costuming instead?

Kate said...

Oh Stiney, I hope your week gets better! :heart:

S.H. Bagley said...

Wow, reading this well after the fact is really kind of entertaining.

"The friend"