Thursday, December 13, 2007

If It Snowed Cats And Dogs, That Would Hurt. A Lot.



It is, you are no doubt aware, pissing down snow on Boston, and has been since about 1 pm this afternoon. I left work a little early as a result--I'm mostly glad that I beat the rush, though I wonder how many T-riders really stayed it out?

Snow generally turns me into a huge Grinch. There is something about the gray sky, the cold, the wet AND cold things that are coating my jacket and sneaking into my shoes, the need to shovel, the ice, the salt, the--you get the picture--that just makes me absolutely Grumpy. Granted, I can sympathize with Grumpy Bear, the Grinch, and Squidward on the best of days. But snow? Forget it. I just want to crawl into my bed and give everyone the finger until the snow has melted.

No, I don't know why I moved back to Boston either.



But when it's snowing this hard? When a New England city practically shuts down in the face of the rapid accumulation (we're getting 1"-3" an hour)? It does get pretty. And I like the reminder that Nature can kick our asses any time it wants, and there's not much we can do about it, all our technology aside.

Touché, snow. Well-played.

3 comments:

essjay said...

At least it isn't ice! Snow can be pretty but it certianly can F*** up a lot of stuff!

Stiney said...

It's ice now. I banged my knee pretty good last night walking back from my friend's place...they hadn't really cleared a path, so I had to go over a pile of what I thought was snow. Turns out it was solid ice!

S.H. Bagley said...

Snow is nature's systempunk. Best just to roll with it.